Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Gravity Ratchet re-design

I mentioned earlier that I had redesigned the drive barrel to be 60mm diameter instead of 25mm, so that the larger diameter barrel would have less build-up of string when fully wound. The build up of string creates more drive in the system, and the grasshopper escapement is sensitive to changes those changes. (I'm sensitive to ;)...) Anyway. So because the drive barrel is larger, it now blocks the view of the gravity ratchet which could be clearly seen with the clear perspex versions.

So I've decided to redesign it from being an 'inny' to an 'outy' and I don't mean to be like a belly button. Its basically been turned inside-out or outside-in. now its workings are even easier to see than the original. Nice! Its yet to be prototyped though, but I'm sure it will work great.

cheers
rosco

No comments:

Post a Comment