Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mini Design

Here's a new design of mine that I am looking forward to making. The reason for its existence is simply that you don't have to hang it on a wall! The clocks that I have designed so far need to mounted on a wall, and the fixings need to be able to support a good 8kg's. Which means for mounting you really need to commit to where it is going to go. This clock you see above is only 600mm's high!...maybe the height of a large screen LCD TV. It will run for 30 hours with the weight falling only 300mm (10mm per hour). It's tricky, but I am confident that it will work. (Especially with my nice new gear tooth design.
I received a reprint of a clock making book written in 1905 for Christmas! (thanks to my lovely wife Kelly) It described some alternately geared gear-trains. I have used that info here. This clock runs at 90 BPM and has a 22inch pendulum. There are many other exotic gear trains and BPM's, but with this, the 30 tooth escapement wheel will always turn 1and1/2 times every minute and make it a lot easier to set the pendulum period with the minute alternating between the top and bottom of the wheels turn. (I was originally going to do 88 BPM and that would have been a real pain)
Here's some preliminary designs drawings...

This one is looking at gear sizes and where to put the escapement (the green lines) I ended up opting with it upside down like on the left most sketch.

This one is looking at skeleton chassis parts for the guts and you can also see on the left, the 2 vertical skinny rectangles...they are the weights(1 on each side for balance)!

Starting to go together...

Here I have realised that a large gear driving the escapement is not going to work, as it will hit other axles. So I then have made it into 2 smaller ones to get the same ratio...Although the escapement will now run anti clockwise.


This picture is getting a lot closer...


These 2 are with no chassis...

Other side...

Will keep you updated. Hope you like it!

cheers
rosco

No comments:

Post a Comment